Are you interested in your local area? Do you have an eye for a good news story?www.EastLondonLines.co.uk is an independent news website produced by students and staff of Goldsmiths, University of London. It is the virtual shadow of the East London Line, connecting communities in virtual space, just as the line connects them in physical space, from the creative clusters of Spitalfields to the business areas of Croydon – and we want you to be involved.
We’re offering a group of 16 young people the chance to participate in a journalism summer school at Goldsmiths which will involve teaching from a professional journalist who is also a tutor at Goldsmiths on the journalism courses they run here.
[NOTE: the post graduate OnLine Journalism short course is here].
You’ll learn, not only how to produce quality news stories, but the high paced pressures of getting work done to a deadline and also a taste of university life. You will see how your story is received by the public as it is published on the East London Lines website and the course can go on your CV. Additionally you’ll have the chance to work on the website writing news stories after the summer school course during July and August.
The criteria you need to have to take part are:
- You must be 16-19 years old
- You need to live and/or study in Croydon, Hackney, Lewisham, Southwark, Greenwich or Tower Hamlets;
- You need to have a passion for writing and an interest in journalism;
- You need to have access to the internet & a computer outside of the sessions at Goldsmiths (at home or in a library)
- And you must be able to commit to the total of the full 6 days of study at Goldsmiths*
*Priority will be given to applications that state they can commit to further involvement over the summer holidays (please state your availability on your application).
The course will be held:
- During June 2012 (precise dates will be published shortly).
- Venue: Goldsmiths, University of London
Lewisham Way, New Cross London SE14 6NW (Closest stations New Cross/New Cross Gate )
For further information please contact Laura Cattell on email@example.com or 02079197114
Rhb131, Widening Participation, Goldsmiths, University of London, New Cross, London SE14 6NW. Download our application form here http://www.gold.ac.uk/widening-participation/summer-schools/