Sometime Blur guitarist Graham Coxon kicked off the Oxjam music festival in Hackney on Monday night as the charity chain prepared for gigs all across east and south London.
Four gigs at Dalston’s Kingsland Road Oxfam shop will herald a month-long fundraising festival with more than 800 venues hosting over 7,000 acts nationwide.
Tuesday night will see the Hackney shop play host to Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, otherwise known as DJ Orlando Higginbottom, who will put on a DJ set, and continue with headline acts like Hot Chip and Four Tet.
Higginbottom said: “Last year I travelled to the Democratic Republic of Congo with a group of British and American producers to create an album with local musicians, raising money for Oxfam’s work in the area. It was a great experience to be able to support a charity by doing what I love.
“Likewise Oxjam, where fellow artists can also do what they love in order to raise money to help fight global poverty, is something I am very happy to be a part of.”
The festival, which began in 2006, aims to raise funds for Oxfam in its charitable activities. On Wednesday, the Dalston shop will stage sets by singer/songwriters Lucy Rose and Kyla La Grange.
During Coxon’s show on Monday night, music lovers were encouraged to browse through the shop, and the gigs mark a perfect opportunity to nab second-hand music at knock-down prices.
The Kingsland sets will culminate on Thusrday night with ‘Hot Chip and friends’ Vinyl Emporium’, which will feature DJ sets by the band as well as The 2 Bears and Four Tet, with guests encouraged to climb the stage and join in.
There will also be an exclusive ‘recommended by Hot Chip’ section of the shop with an array of vinyl hand-picked by the group, available for purchase.
See below for a list of Oxjam events in Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Lewisham, and Croydon.
More details can be found at the Oxjam website.
All along the East London Line…
- September 25 – Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs at Dalston Kingsland Oxfam shop
- September 26 – Lucy Rose and Kyla La Grange at Dalston Oxfam
- September 27 – Hot Chip and friends’ Vinyl Emporium at Dalston Oxfam
- October 03 – Charity Cabaret Night at Floripa in Great Eastern Street, Shoreditch. 5pm – 2am.
- October 04 – Idle Fret at the Shacklewell Arms on Shackwell Lane, Dalston. 7pm – 12am.
- October 05 – Oxjam by Victoria Park at the Royal Inn on the Park. 7:30pm – 1am. Raffle, cakes and late bar!
- October 17 – Live music night at the Queen of Hoxton in (surprise) Curtain Road, Hoxton. 6pm – 1am.
- October 18 – Eyes & No Eyes at the Dalston Victoria, Queensbridge Road, Hackney. 7pm – 12am. Acoustic experimentalists.
- October 18-20 – CROxjam Croydon Takeover in Croydon Town Centre – three days, many acts, many venues. Information pending.
- October 21 – HUG ME FOR NO REASON in New Cross, 8pm – 2am