Tributes paid to Croydon rave death teenager

Fifteen-year-old Rio Andrews who died following Croydon Rave

Fifteen-year-old Rio Andrews who died following Croydon rave Pic: Met Police

A 15-year-old boy who died after falling ill at an illegal rave in a disused Royal Mail sorting office in Cherry Orchard Road, Croydon has been named by police.

Rio Andrew from Notting Hill collapsed in the early hours of Sunday June 15 and was taken to hospital where he died on Monday.

Police believe that his death may be drug related but are waiting for the results of a post mortem due to take place later this week.

Detective Chief Inspector Steve Baxter who is leading the investigation, said: “Rio went out for the night with his friends, his parents had every right to expect that he would return home safe and well. Sadly, he didn’t and my thoughts are with his family at this very difficult time.”

Andrew was a pupil at Holland Park School in Kensington, who said in a statement: “Rio was an able scholar, destined for academic success. He was also an exceptional sportsman and due to be awarded a prestigious sports award this Friday. The school wishes to send its collective sympathies and respect to all of Rio’s family and friends. He will be greatly missed by the school community.”

Andrew was accomplished athlete in all disciplines especially in the shot put and was selected by the Jamaican national team during the 2012 Olympics to be part of their guard of honour.

Police scene guard at site of Croydon rave

Police guard the scene at site of Croydon rave Pic: Kuan Yuan Xhu

The police have launched an internal investigation to find out why intelligence suggesting the rave was going to take place was not acted upon.  Gavin Barwell, MP for Croydon Central said that the event was advertised on Facebook and that police were told the date and venue for the rave on June 5.  He said: “I am told that the information was reviewed by an intelligence officer but no further action was taken.  I am trying to find out how far up the chain of command this information was passed and if the police warned Royal Mail.”

A Royal Mail spokesperson, Sally Hopkins, said: “All the squatters have now left the building and we have made the site as secure as we can to prevent any further unauthorised access by any individuals.”

During the rave, party-goers launched fire extinguishers and furniture at the police after officers attempted to stop additional people from entering the building.

Taxi driver Denise Borge, who was working at East Croydon Train Station on Saturday night said: “I saw a lot of people picking up items from the floor and throwing them and a couple of taxi drivers told me people had tried to rip off their wing mirrors.”

A 19-year-old who was also taken to hospital after falling ill at the rave remains in a stable condition.

Police say that a total of 14 people have been arrested in connection with the event.

Leave a Reply