Over £90,000 raised for victims and bereaved families of Croydon tram derailment


The Just Giving page shows memorial for victims of the Croydon tram derailment. Pic: Croydon Council

More than £90,000 has been raised in aid of bereaved families and those injured in last month’s Croydon tram derailment.

Croydon Council established a crowd-funding page shortly after last month’s tragedy, which has raised over £31,000. Local residents and companies have also collectively donated £60,000 directly to the fund.

Councillor Tony Newman, the council leader, said: “The generosity and compassion of people has been overwhelming. We’ve seen almost a thousand individual donations through the Just Giving page, and I’m immensely grateful to those businesses that have boosted the fund so significantly. Money only goes some way towards helping those affected by tragedies such as this. But along with the tremendous support offered by the local community I hope it will offer some comfort to those who lives have been changed forever because of what happened.”

The Just Giving page, closed at midnight on Wednesday after a private memorial service took place at the scene of the tram crash.

The fund is supported by the Mayor of London and the Croydon Advertiser – who donated £2,500 from the proceeds of newspaper sales.

The Mayor of Croydon, Wayne Trakas-Lawlor also raised £2,500 through a fundraising event.

Croydon Council have asked The London Community Foundation, a registered charity, to distribute the money raised to victims.

Russell Delew, Chief Executive of The London Community Foundation, said: “We’re pleased to be able to offer our services to the community of Croydon, and we extend our deepest sympathies to all those affected at this difficult time.”

The tram which derailed on November 9, was travelling from New Addington to Wimbledon via Croydon before it crashed near Sandilands station.

An interim report carried out by The Rail Accident Investigation Branch revealed that the tram was travelling almost four times the speed limit before it derailed. Seven people were killed and fifty one injured.

The driver of the tram – Alfred Dorris, 42, from Beckenham, south London – was arrested at the scene and was questioned on suspicion of manslaughter. He was bailed until May.

Transport for London offered to pay for the funeral costs of the victims but they were criticised by the families of the deceased who said they were not directly informed of the gesture.

Earlier this week it was announced that the survivors of the tram crash will mount a legal case against tram operator First Group and Transport for London.

If anyone wishes to make further donations they can find details at: www.croydon.gov.uk/tramincident

 Follow Sundus Saeed on Twitter

Leave a Reply