Rapper, entrepreneur, fashion designer Tinchy Stryder is east London through and through. A genuine cockney, he was born in earshot of Bow bells, and despite hitting music superstardom, tries to find time to go home for his tea…
Speaking exclusively to EastLondonLines, the rapper said: ”Where I’ve come from, where I’ve grown up, my family, have really influenced me. Everything you earn and make after, you appreciate where you’ve made it from.
“I wouldn’t say I’ve had the hardest life, there are people who’ve had harder lives, but nothing was easy when I was growing up. I’m from Bow, that’s not one of the best areas in the city. It makes you appreciate things more, and makes you more focused and business-minded.
“When we [him and his friends] were really young we used to talk about being famous. When you’re watching TV and awards shows your like: ‘I’m going to be there one day.’ The excitement of when you see all the people pulling up on the red carpet. The money wasn’t even the first thing on your mind, because we enjoyed music and that’s what we wanted to do.
“It always felt like a dream, but as I progressed in my career and everything’s become more of a reality, it’s a crazy feeling.
“My family lives in Bow, my friends are there, I’m there, I’ve got a hectic schedule but when I can, I’m around. Always have your vision, but don’t forget where you’ve come from. As long as you’re aware of where you come from that’s good enough.”
“The east London area isn’t spoken about [enough], so hopefully this new line will make it easier for people to feel accessible to other parts of east London.”
– Born and raised in Bow, east London, an area of the borough of Tower Hamlets.
– He was educated at Old Palace Primary School in Bow, but went to St. Bonaventure’s Catholic Comprehensive School in Forest Gate, Newham.
– He continued into further education by doing a BA in moving image and animation at the University of East London.
– He began his career with appearances on pirate radio in east London.
– In 2009 he was the UK’s biggest selling male artist with his album Catch 22 spawning two Number 1 hits – Number 1 and Never Leave You and four Top 20 hits overall.
– Besides his burgeoning music career he also owns a successful clothing line called Star In The Hood (S.I.T.H)