The Met Police say the tally of arrests in their largest ever coordinated operation of raids on multiple addresses to bring to justice offenders involved in burglary and drug crimes has reached over 70.
Magistrates courts all over London were being occupied today with the appearances of people charged in this second phase of “Operation Carbon,” that primarily centred on Tower Hamlets and Hackney.
75 addresses were searched in dawn raids Wednesday morning May 15 and the Met Police say a large number of stolen goods such laptops and phones were seized.
The raids form part of “a large intelligence-led operation, backed up by Tower Hamlets Council and designed to deal with criminal networks in Tower Hamlets and the surrounding areas.”
In a previous phase of the operation 80 people were arrested and electronic stolen goods of an approximated value of £100,000 were seized.
Detective Chief Inspector Des McHugh, who was in charge of the operation says: “I hope that this very visual crackdown will increase public confidence in the Met’s ability and desire to tackle the criminals who engage in or facilitate these deplorable crimes. I thank the local community for their support as well as Tower Hamlets Council for their financial and logistical backing.”
By the afternoon of May 16 the Met Police said 51 people had been charged with offences including possession of firearms and drugs, burglary, robbery and the handling of stolen goods.