Cyclist dragged under bus dies in East Croydon

Pic: William Murphy

Pic: William Murphy

A 40-year-old cyclist has died this afternoon, following a collision with a bus near East Croydon station.

The man was dragged under the vehicle near the junction of Cherry Orchard Road and Addiscombe Road just before midday.

Emergency services were on the scene within 10 minutes, as paramedics struggled to stabilise him as he slipped into cardiac arrest.

Police officers confirmed that the injured man was still breathing and had a pulse when he was rushed by ambulance to St.George’s Hospital in Tooting.

He was pronounced dead at 2:15pm.

A spokeswoman for London Ambulance said: “We sent a single responder in a car, a duty officer, two ambulance crews and a medical team from London’s Air Ambulance by car to the scene.”

“Our staff treated three patients. The cyclist, a man, was in cardiac arrest. Extensive efforts were made to resuscitate him at the scene, before he was taken to St George’s Hospital escorted by the doctor from the air ambulance.”

The staff treated two other female patients, one who was taken to Croydon University Hospital.

The other patient, believed to be the bus driver, was treated for shock at the scene.

A police spokesman confirmed that no charges had been laid against the driver.

The accident paralysed traffic in the busy East Croydon hub, halting buses in both directions and cutting off the tram link to East Sandilands. Services were restored by 3.00pm.

Police cordoned off a large section of the nearby Knolly’s House business complex, with Community Support Officers ushering pedestrians around the police tape.

Local resident and cyclist Eddie Milosevic, 31, who was “saddened, but not surprised” by the crash said: “I cycle through this area a lot. In wet weather and with trams, buses and cars crisscrossing around the place, you really have to be on the lookout.”


By Jonathan McConnell & Laura Raphael


One Response

  1. Ken Burt November 22, 2018

Leave a Reply