UPDATE: air ambulance rushes stabbing victim to hospital for priority treatment amid road closures in New Cross

Police cordon off Goodwood Road after shooting in Auburn Close. Pic: Kathryn Sunnucks

Police cordon off Goodwood Road after shooting in Auburn Close. Pic: Kathryn Sunnucks

A man was rushed to hospital by air ambulance yesterday following a violent incident in Lewisham.

London’s Air Ambulance was called after a man, reported to be in his 20s, was attacked on Auburn Close, New Cross, at around 12pm on Wednesday.

Police cordoned off Goodwood Road and Southerngate Way restricting road and foot traffic into the area as the helicopter landed in Fordham Park.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called at 12.19pm to reports of a shooting on Auburn Close. We sent a single responder in a car, two ambulance crews, a duty officer and London’s Air Ambulance to the scene.”

“Our staff treated one patient a man reported to be in his 20s. He was taken as a priority to hospital.”

The incident left locals confused as to what could have happened.

Ozgnr Demir, owner of the Rising Sun café, said: “I didn’t hear anything, all I saw was police had blocked off the road”

Daniel Etienne, 33, a construction worker who was working near the scene of the crime didn’t realise anything untoward had happened until he saw a helicopter landing in the park.

He said: “I was busy working on the construction site when I heard a bang, I thought it was something falling on the building site, then I saw an ambulance landing in [Fordham] park.”

Lewisham resident Ike Ogyu, 34, said: “I saw 20 policeman outside Deptford market at around midday.”


A Metropolitan police spokesperson said today: “There were reports of a gunshot but the injuries sustained by the man seem to be stab wounds. Police were called to Auburn Close, New Cross to reports of an assault at approximately 12.15pm yesterday.

“Officers found a man in his 20s at the scene with serious injuries and he’s been taken to a south London hospital. His condition is serious but not life threatening. Enquiries continue but no arrests have been made at this stage.”

By Michael Ellery and Kathryn Sunnucks.

Leave a Reply