Goldsmiths celebrated 110 years since its formal opening on September 29.
Goldsmiths’ Warden Pat Loughrey told EastLondonLines: “The anniversary is one to be celebrated – it marked the beginning of the university we know and love today.”
Goldsmiths, University of London, previously known as Goldsmiths’ Technical and Recreative Institute merged with the University of London in 1904 and was formally opened as Goldsmiths’ College on September 29, 1905.
In its early days, Goldsmiths offered places to 300 students and the college has seen a steady rise in numbers of students since, reaching 8840 last year, not including research students.
“Then as now, it’s a special place where a love of learning is shared among staff and students,” added Loughrey.
“It’s a time to look back with pride at huge achievements and also a time to look forward with excitement and confidence to helping nurture and grow Goldsmiths – and ensure we’re still celebrating in another 110 years’ time.”