A notorious robber in the Stoke Newington area has been linked to a dozen attacks within the past three weeks. Police have stepped up and increased patrols since Saturday.
A total of 12 muggings is believed to be taken place in the area since January 2. Another incident was reported earlier on December 11, said to be linked to the same uncaught suspect. The muggings occured in local streets and train stations, mostly after dark. It’s believed the attacker stole cash and mobile phones while threatening his victims with violence. According to the police, the mugger begged his victims for money, claiming he is homeless and suffering from mental health issues, before turning violent.
Key witnesses have described the suspect as a black man aged between 25 and 30, 6ft tall. The clothes he was wearing were described as a light grey tracksuit top and bottoms.
Detective Inspector Paul Ridley said: “This suspect is extremely brazen and has been targeting his victims in busy areas during broad daylight, as well as the hours of darkness.
“I am appealing for anyone who recognises the description of our suspect or who has any information about the robberies to contact us.”
He said police are also keen to speak to anyone who had fallen victim to the suspect but had not reported it.
“I can assure residents that police patrols in the affected areas have been stepped up and my investigation team are working relentlessly to identify this suspect and prevent any further incidents.”
But the community, he said, should remain vigilant and alert police if they had any information.
Anyone with information is urged to get in touch with the police on 101 and mention Operation Ashton.