Train passengers hurt as battery overheats

Dalston Kingsland station was closed for around 1 hour. Pic: Sunil060902

Several people were injured this morning after a workman’s drill overheated on a London Overground train and started smoking.

The incident happened at Dalston Kingsland station. Initially it was thought a passenger’s phone battery had overheated, but London Fire Brigade later confirmed that a power tool battery was to blame.

London Fire Brigade said fire crews from Stoke Newington were called to the scene at 7.11a.m, along with their Hazardous Area Response Team (HART). Firefighters dealt with the smoking drill by placing it in a bucket of sand.They had what they described as “a small incident” under control by 7.44a.m.

London Ambulance Service also attended and said they treated four people for minor injuries, including head, leg and arm injuries, before taking them to a hospital in East London. “We also checked over three patients at the scene but they did not need hospital treatment, “ said an Ambulance spokesperson.

Passengers had to be evacuated from the train and there were severe delays between Richmond and Stratford, and Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction.

Duncan Cross, Deputy Director of Operations at London Overground, confirmed that a “ frightening event “ was caused by a customer going to work carrying a battery pack.

TFL said that the event was not being treated as a serious incident. The station after an hour and services have resumed.

Leave a Reply