Hackney crash leaves motorcyclist fighting for his life

The scene of the crash in Almhurst Road, Hackney        Pic: Dave Raval

A motorcyclist is suffering from life-threatening injuries following a horrific smash on a busy north-east London road on Saturday evening.

The motorcycle, which was described as travelling at high speed on Amhurst Road in South Hackney, collided with an oncoming car on the other side of the road.

The man, who is believed to be in his late 20s, was instantly rushed to hospital after shocked witnesses called emergency services to the scene shortly after 7pm on Saturday evening (May 20).

Liberal Democratic candidate Dave Raval, who is also a resident in the area, was in his office at the time of the crash and heard the motorcycle go past.

Speaking to Eastlondonlines he said: “I was writing a few emails in my office and I heard a motorcycle go by really quickly, it seemed to be going really fast but I didn’t really pay much attention to it.

“A minute or two later I looked out of my window and noticed all the traffic on the main road had stopped and saw a lot of police arriving.,

“A car had pulled out a few feet away and had been hit by the motorbike, the bike had travelled at least five car lengths.

“The motorcyclist was on the ground being attended to and he wasn’t moving at all. It didn’t look good.”

Mr Raval, who is a candidate in the Shoreditch and Hackney South seat in the upcoming General Election, also added that the road in which the incident took place on is no stranger to accidents. Speaking to Eastlondonlines he said: “That road and the Pembury Circus junction just a bit further up is pretty dangerous. There are a lot of accidents which happen there.

“Five roads come together at the junction without a roundabout and although they are each individually controlled by traffic lights, it still isn’t safe for either pedestrians or drivers.”

A spokesman for the Met Police said: “We were called at 7:16 pm on May 20 with reports to a car in collision with a motorcycle.

“The London Ambulance Service also attended the scene and a man who is believed to be in his late 20s was taken to hospital. He is believed to be in a very serious condition.

“The driver stopped at the scene and assisted the police with their enquiries.”

Road closures were put in place at the time of the incident for two hours but have now been removed while the victim still remains in hospital.

Leave a Reply