Suspect questioned over Shoreditch murder 13 years after shooting

Marvin Couson in hospital. Pic: Met Police

Detectives investigating the murder of Marvin Couson, who died 13 years after he was shot in Shoreditch, have interviewed a man under caution.

Couson died in August 2015 after spending 13 years confined to a hospital bed unable to communicate or do anything for himself.

In May 2002, he was shot at Lime Bar on Curtain Road, Shoreditch, which is now the Queen of Hoxton. He was just 26 years old.

Officers interviewed a 37-year-old prisoner under caution on September 14, who has links to a Birmingham gang.

Police believe the murder is linked to a dispute between organised criminal gangs from London and Birmingham.

Detective Chief Inspector Noel McHugh said: “It is all the more sad as Marvin was not involved in gangs or criminality and we believe he was an entirely innocent victim of a dispute that had nothing to do with him.”

A £40,000 reward remains on offer to anyone who can provide information leading to the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for Couson’s death.

McHugh made a specific appeal to someone who previously called Crimestoppers about the murder, urging them to get in contact again with any further information.

“I hope for the sake of Marvin’s family – and his two children who are now teenagers – that someone can find it within themselves to do the right thing,” he said.

Marvin Couson with his sister Margaret. Pic: Family handout

Margaret Couson, Marvin’s sister, said: “There is not a single day that goes by where Marvin is not in our thoughts.”

“Imagine your loved one lying there each day trapped in their body unable to express himself, not able to tell you what pain he is feeling,” she said.

She described the lack of closure as “heartbreaking” and pleaded for people to come forward with information.

Couson, who worked fitting security systems for retailers, had visited the Lime Bar with his cousin and a friend for a garage and hip-hop night in May 2002.

In the early hours they fled, along with a large number of other people, after shots were fired inside the bar.

Outside a T-reg red or burgundy Ford Fiesta, thought to contain at least two black men, drove fast along Curtain Road.

The vehicle struck Couson and he grappled with the front seat passenger. A gun was then fired and he was seen lying on the ground shot, but it is unclear if the shot came from the Fiesta.

Following an operation he spent 13 years in the Royal Hospital for Neuro-Disability in Putney.

After being unable to care for himself, leave his hospital bed or communicate with others, he died on August 8 2015.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8785 8099 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Leave a Reply