Two teenagers jailed for stabbing schoolboy, 14

Pic: Callum Haslehurst-Mackenzie

Two teenagers have been jailed at Woolwich Crown Court after robbing and stabbing a 14-year-old schoolboy in Lewisham.

The perpetrators, who were aged 17 and 15, attacked the victim while he was walking home from school on 8 May.

The victim was with two friends in Longbridge Way, Lewisham at around 6.00pm when he was approached by the teenagers.

They demanded he hand over his possessions. When the victim refused to obey, the 17-year-old boy punched him in the head, while the other stabbed him on the leg twice, and took his possessions including his phone.

The 14-year-old was later found to have a damaged sciatic nerve caused by the stabbings.

London Fire Brigade watch manager Craig Fenner witnessed the attack as it took place across the road from Lewisham Fire Station.

He rushed over and administered first aid, assisted by other members of the crew, using his own shirt to stem the flow of blood before the victim was taken to hospital.

Officers from Greenwich began an investigation and were able to identify the attackers, who were arrested on 15 May.

During a search of the 17-year-old’s address, the victim’s mobile phone was recovered. The pair were then charged.

Gary Sanders, a police officer of the South East Borough Command Unit, said: “If it wasn’t for the quick thinking and decisive actions of the London Fire Brigade Watch Manager and the crew at Lewisham Fire Station this attack could have had fatal consequences.

“As well as saving this young man’s life, they were also able to provide constructive evidence which enabled us to progress this investigation quickly.

“The suspects’ casual use of violence to intimidate their victim was shocking and I am pleased these two dangerous individuals have been convicted and now must face the consequences of their actions.”

On 13 July at Bromley Youth Court the 15-year-old suspect was found guilty of gravies bodily harm, robbery and possession of a bladed article; the 17-year-old was found guilty of robbery.

Both were sentenced on Monday, 29 October.

The 15-year-old was sentenced to four years in a Young Offender Institution.

The 17-year-old was given an 18-month detention and training order.

Leave a Reply