Knife-wielding suspect shot dead by police as two die in London Bridge terror attack

Police near London Bridge Pic: James Bayley

By Clara Hill and Lois Borny

Police have declared the incident on London Bridge a terrorist attack after a knife-wielding assailant was shot dead by officers and two members of the public have died.

Security has been enhanced throughout the city and the Met are asking people to remain vigilant. They have requested people avoid the London Bridge area.

Assistant Commissioner for Specialist Operations, Neil Basu, said in a statement after the attack that “public safety is obviously our top priority and [we] will be enhancing police patrols in the City and across London.”

An unidentified man is believed to have attacked several people leaving a number of them injured on London Bridge.

Eyewitnesses saw a fight break out between a group of people, including the assailant.

Stevie Hurst, who helped restrain the attacker, said to the BBC: “We saw a guy being accosted to the floor,” he said, adding that people were “screaming” the attacker had “stabbed a couple of women.

“We saw that the knife was still in his hand… I just put a foot in to try and kick him in the head.

“We were trying to do as much as we could to try and dislodge the knife from his hand so he wouldn’t harm anyone else.”

The attacker was then pinned down by a number of people, and after a struggle a large knife was taken from him.

Police then backed up and two shots were fired. The assailant died at the scene.

The man who apprehended the knife then ran southwards, urging people to move away.

After early reports by Eastlondonlines, Police have confirmed that the “suicide vest” was a “hoax explosive device.”

Michael Cahill, 23, an eyewitness in Borough Market and told Eastlondonlines: “Within 10 seconds people ran past me screaming and I ended up hiding out in a fire escape with security and loads of random people.”

Roads sealed off by police. Pic: James Bayley

He added: “We walked out hearing it was at London Bridge thinking it was fine and then armed police came in and people started running again, they told us all to move but I heard others say get down to another group of people falling over each other and grabbing their kids and just running.”

Videos of the incident have been surfacing across social media, and police have urged people not to share them.

Instead, they are appealing for them to be sent to the Met privately to help assist with their investigation.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: “Please use common sense and restraint in circulating pictures and videos of the London London Bridge.”

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: “We must and we will stay resolute in our determination to stand strong and united in the face of terror.”

They are also advising to stay away from the London Bridge and Borough Market area.

London Bridge station has been closed, and both National Rail and London Underground trains are not stopping.

Boris Johnson is on his way back to Downing Street from campaigning to get a better understanding of the issue.

Jeremy Corbyn has thanked the police for their swift and brave, tweeting: “My thoughts are with the people affected”

Local MPs expressed their concern

Police are appealing for videos and photos at:

Any other information please call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline: 0800 789 321

Leave a Reply