Kieran Brown, 26, of Hackney was charged early this morning with the murder of 22-year-old Exauce Ngimbi, and for possession of a pointed or bladed article.
Ngimbi was attacked by a gang with machetes on Clarence Road and Clarence Mews in Lower Clapton on Thursday.
The police were called at 14.01, and he was pronounced dead at 14:33.
Police have arrested three other males on suspicion of murder. They are believed to be 14, 23, and 26.
A man who witnessed the incident said: “It was about five or six guys fighting in the street, they had machetes and then one of the boys was stabbed multiple times and there was lots of blood.”
He added: “He was just on the floor and his friends didn’t know what to do.”
At a vigil for her son in Clarence Mews, Mr Ngimbi’s mother Théthé said: “I want to see him, he was a good boy. It’s not fair.”
She told the Evening Standard that after a period of being known to police, her son had turned his life around.
She said: “The last thing he did before he went out was to say a prayer. He was scared he would become a victim of the violence on the streets.”
“Enough is enough. Our family is hurting so much. We do not feel safe and more action is needed to keep our kids safe.”
Temporary Section 60 ‘stop-and-search’ powers were imposed by Hackney police throughout the borough yesterday following the attack. This gave them the right to stop-and-search anyone in a certain area, within a certain time frame, if they feel that this will prevent prevent serious violence taking place.
Detective Chief Inspector Paul Considine, of specialist crime command, is leading the investigation.“Another young man’s life had been tragically cut short due to the violent actions of others and I would urge anyone who was in the area and witnessed this incident to come forward and speak to police.”
“While we have made arrests, there are at least two other suspects who remain outstanding and enquiries are currently ongoing to locate them.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8345 3865.