Officer being investigated over Rashan Charles death

Rashan Chalres. Pic: Met Police

A police officer is being investigated for gross misconduct after the death of Rashan Charles.

Charles, 20, died after being apprehended by police in Dalston on July 22. A post-mortem examination found a package containing “a mixture of paracetamol and caffeine” in Charles’ throat.

IPCC Commissioner Cindy Butts said:“IPCC investigators have formally notified the officer who initially restrained Rashan that he is being investigated for gross misconduct. The officer may have breached the police standards of professional behaviour regarding the detention and restraint of Rashan as well as how he dealt with Rashan’s medical emergency.

“Our investigators have analysed the CCTV and body worn video evidence we gathered and considered the officer’s detailed statement as well as statements from other witnesses to the incident. We have also considered the relevant policies and procedures.

“While this move indicates a new phase in our investigation it does not necessarily mean misconduct proceedings will follow. We will keep the position under review as the investigation progresses.”

The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) said in a statement, “It is absolutely vital that the facts of what took place are thoroughly established as quickly as possible through an independent examination of all the available evidence. The thoughts of the MPS are with the family of Mr Charles at this incredibly difficult time for them.

“All police officers are fully aware that they will be asked to account for their actions. No officer is above the law and they would not wish to be.

“The MPS continues to provide every possible support to the police officer and their colleagues while fully co-operating with the IPCC investigation. The MPS will now be reviewing what restrictions, if any, should be placed on the officer. In reaching that decision the MPS will liaise with the IPCC, as is usual.”

Charles’ death led to protests and clashes with police in Hackney where parts of Kingsland Road were blocked and fireworks and bottles were thrown at police.

Leave a Reply