The Olympic Park handover was completed today as abseilers braved rainy conditions to detach the last strips of outer shell from the Aquatics Centre.
The London Legacy Development Corporation is now officially responsible for the site, and will oversee the first stages of its re-opening to the public under the new name of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park on July 27, 2013.
Colin Naish, LLDC executive director of infrastructure said: “I’m delighted that we’re able to mark the next phase in London’s Olympic legacy. Taking control of the park today is another major milestone and in only eight months time, it will begin to re-open.”
Members of the LLDC board include Boris Johnson, Jules Pipe, Mayor of Hackney and Lutfur Rahman, Mayor of Tower Hamlets.
The handover comes after months of preparation by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games, who oversaw the development of the park.
Speaking about the operation earlier in the day, James Bulley, LOCOG director of venues and infrastructure said: “98 percent of our materials were recycled and reused, and a huge amount of sports equipment has been donated to clubs, schools and national governing bodies of sport.”
The training pool Olympic athletes used during the summer games will become the main facility for regular users, who will be charged £4.30 for one-off access.
Over the next 18 months, a £292m construction programme will be implemented across the park. Developments will include the conversion of The Copper Box, which hosted handball during the Olympics, into a public leisure centre and the removal of temporary venues such as the water polo and basketball arenas.
The Aquatics Centre will open to the public in spring 2014. Temporary structures, such as extra seating sections, are scheduled for removal by May next year.